Difference between revisions of "IGVC Software Installation Instructions"
Latest revision as of 15:58, 16 September 2018
Welcome! Let's jump right in.
Robojackets IGVC currently supports the Ubuntu 18.04 and ROS-melodic environment. If you don't know what those are, don't worry! The project may build/run in other environments, but we can't guarantee it.
Ok, lets get down to business.
- 1 Step 1 - Get Terminator
- 2 Step 2 - Set up your sources.list
- 3 Step 3 - Set up your keys
- 4 Step 4 - Update your Debian packages
- 5 Step 5 - Get Ros melodic
- 6 Step 6 - Initialize rosdep
- 7 Step 7 - Environment Variable Setup
- 8 Step 8 - Initialize catkin workspace
- 9 Step 9 - Clone IGVC Repository
- 10 Step 10 - Install ROS Dependencies
- 11 Step 11 - Build the Code
- 12 Step 12 - Run the Code
Step 1 - Get Terminator
Forget the default Ubuntu terminal, we need both horizontal and vertical splits for productive activity. Start up the default terminal and type:
You should now be using this from now on, it will help later,
Step 2 - Set up your sources.list
Now for these next steps you don't need to understand what they do, only make sure they complete properly. So if you see any errors come up, tell one of us immediately. Copy this into your terminal:
Step 3 - Set up your keys
Step 4 - Update your Debian packages
Step 5 - Get Ros melodic
Step 6 - Initialize rosdep
Step 7 - Environment Variable Setup
Step 8 - Initialize catkin workspace
- Command should complete and not really do anything
- If init_catkin_workspace failed then ROS did not install correctly and/or try "sudo apt-get update" which may fix the issue where catkin_init_workspace command can not be found
Step 9 - Clone IGVC Repository
- Fork IGVC Github Repository
Step 10 - Install ROS Dependencies
- rosdep will download and install all of the necessary ros package dependencies, type "y" whenever it asks if it is ok to continue installation
Step 11 - Build the Code
- If this fails the first time try running catkin_make again
- If it continues to fail because it could not find some of the igvc_msgs header files, run "catkin_make igvc_msgs_gencpp" and then "catkin_make"
Step 12 - Run the Code
- The code should now be running and complaining about not being able to connect to various devices, this is all good and you are ready to start writing igvc code